The Wycheproof Railway Line was opened on October 1st 1883 so this year is celebrating 125 years of service.
The opening of the Railway Station in 1883 Mr Boyce the Station Master in light trousers
STORY FROM PIONEERS & PROGRESS BY M P BOYCE
Friday,September 28, 1883, was a memorable date for Mount Wycheproof, for on that day the long-awaited "official opening"of the railway took place.
The weather was fine and pleasant and from the early hours onwards residents of the outer district began arriving. It was an occasion too exciting and too important to the district to miss.
Broadway, Wycheproof's main street, presented a gay appearance, with all the business houses displaying colorful bunting. Flags flying included England's Union Jack, the green flag of Hibernia, St. Andrew's Cross,Red, White and Blue, also German.
As well as the gallant show of flags, a fine arch had been erected in Broadway . with the inscription "Welcome and God Save the Queen" A second neat pine arch was placed over the gateway opening into Broadway from the station. It was adorned with flags and the greeting "Success to Wycheproof Railway"
A marquee was erected on Mr Dempsey's land in the main street, for the refreshments
A train consisting of several Government trucks and a van, drawn by one of Leslie and Ross's engines, arrived from Charlton with about 200 visitors and the brass band
A large crowd filled in time at a sports meeting being held in Mr Stoney's paddock opposite.Their program remained unfinished because the special train arrived ahead of schedule.
At 3.45 a general move was made to the station, the platform packed with people eager to welcome the arrival of the special train with its party of Government Ministers and official visitors
The estimated number of people who crowded into Wycheproof's Broadway for the celebration was 3000.
The culmination of the unforgettable day in early life of Wycheproof was the Banquet. In a large marquee fronting Broadway three tables were extended to the length of the tent and the Ministerial table place across the top.
The "Wycheproof Ensign" continues the story: T he caterer, Mr R Milburn, of Sandhurst (later Bendigo), is to be congratulated on the excellent manner in which he completed his contract, the viands, wines,and decorations being of the best quality. Fully 150 were present .
A concert was held that night and a dance followed and kept going until daylight
"And so ended the greatest day in the history of Mount Wycheproof."